Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1. How can I migrate to Australia permanently?

There are essentially 4 options if you are looking to permanently migrate to Australia. These are:

  • Under the Points Tested General Skilled Migration (GSM) program
  • Nomination by an Australian Employer or State or Territory
  • Investing in Australia
  • Sponsorship by an eligible family member

Visit our Free Assessment section and we will assess your prospects under the GSM Program.

2. Why should I choose an Australian law firm?

Legal experience
Australian Immigration Law is extremely complex and fluid and Lawyers are required to analyse, interpret and apply Australian legislation, case law and Government policy. Lawyers have broad legal experience and are required to undertake ongoing and additional legal education and accreditation courses, ensuring that the complexities of Australian migration laws are fully understood

All clients have the benefit of professional indemnity insurance and a firm regulatory regime governed by the NSW Law Society.

Your application and all related matters and information is protected by legal professional privilege which is NOT the case with non-lawyers.

Dual registration
You are not engaging just Migration Agents. You are engaging qualified Australian lawyers and members of the NSW Law Society. Lawyers are operate under a strict Code of Conduct which is administered by the Law Society (under the Legal Profession Act 2004), and also the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (Office of the MARA).

3. How much does it cost to permanently migrate to Australia?
The total cost associated for you and your family to apply to permanently migrate to Australia is made up of various components which includes but is not limited to the type of visa, family size, skills assessment fee, medical examination fee, English Test fee, police clearance costs, costs associated with translating and notarising documents and professional fee. See Visa Application Fee for further details.
4. What is the pass mark for the points tested visas?
A points test pass mark exists for the points tested skilled migration visas and the business innovation and investment visa. The points tested skilled migration visas have a points test pass mark of 60 points. However, note, you may need higher points to obtain an invite from the Immigration Department. The business innovation and investment visa has an innovation points test pass mark of 65 points.
5. Under the points test will I be able to claim points for two qualifications?
No. The points test will only allow you to claim points for their highest level qualification. For example, if you have completed a Bachelor Degree and a PhD, you will only be able to claim points for the PhD.
6. How do I find out which skills assessing authority to lodge my skills assessment application to?
Refer to the relevant Occupation Lists (links to these are provided on the Immigration Department website). The Occupation List has a column that lists the skills assessing authority that is responsible for that particular occupation.
7. What if I have more than one occupation that I think I can nominate?
You may sometimes have qualification and/or experience that allow you to nominate more than one skilled occupation. For such cases, there is nothing stopping you from applying to more than one skills assessing authority. If successful, you may choose the positive assessment that suits you best. However, you can only nominate one skilled occupation for any one skilled visa application, and the nominated occupation cannot be changed after you have lodged your visa application.
8. Can I apply for more than one visa at a time?
Nothing prevents you from applying for more than one visa at a time. You will however, need to comply with all the requirements for each application. This will also usually involve you paying a separate fee for each application
9. How long are my medical and police checks valid?
Usually, your medical and police checks are valid for one year from the date they are issued, not the date you submit them to the Immigration Department, unless they provide otherwise.
10. Can I hold more than one visa at a time?
You cannot hold more than one substantive visa at the same time. If a new substantive visa is granted, any existing substantive visa that you hold will cease.
11. How long does the visa process take?
The time for processing the visa may vary depending on the visa category under which you apply. Please refer to the Standard Global Processing Times provided by the Immigration Department.
12. Can I submit an EOI if I have not completed an English language test or a skills assessment?
No, not if you need these in order to submit an EOI. If you are submitting an EOI for a points based visa, you must have completed an English language test and obtained the required points and/or obtained a relevant positive skills assessment before you submit a complete EOI.
13. What is a Registered Migration Agent?

A person providing immigration advice in Australia is required to be a Registered Migration Agent. It is illegal for a person to provide immigration assistance unless they are registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (Office of the MARA). Any person providing immigration assistance without being registered may be subject to penalties ranging from a fine of up to A$5500 to imprisonment up to 10 years (a criminal offence).

Registration, however, is not required for offshore “Agents”. Consequently, “Agents” overseas are not bound by the same rules that govern RMAs and are not required to undertake mandatory annual continuing professional development to keep up to date with immigration laws and policy.